The City of Des Moines is looking to hire an experienced construction engineer/manager to be the City’s lead on complex, high-profile vertical building and capital improvement projects currently being planned for construction on behalf of the city. This position will be ideal for a person that is interested in being a part of highly visible and generational city projects and enjoys working throughout all facets of construction with contractors to ensure projects are built to the highest quality and functionality.
Manages and oversees the implementation, execution, and construction of major building and capital improvement projects. Assists with engineering designs by conducting engineering design review/value engineering, leads and performs construction project management activities for a multitude of projects including complex, multi-phase capital improvement projects, and provides technical assistance to other City Departments. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees in the Engineering Department, other City employees, contractors, utility companies, property owners, other governmental agencies, consulting engineers and the public. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Chief Design Engineer, but considerable leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgement and initiative. Supervision may be exercised over the work of employees in the class of Civil Engineer I and/or Engineering Technician. The principal duties of this class are performed in both a general office environment and an outdoor work environment.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Acts as project manager for a wide variety of major public works projects, including buildings, parks, bridges, roadways, sewers, drainage systems, and a wide range of municipal infrastructure projects.
- Reviews architectural and engineering design plans, specifications, schedules and cost estimates, departmental design plans, building, road, bridge, drainage and sewer plans for public improvement projects.
- Supervises and directs the work of Civil Engineer Is and Engineering Technicians.
- Reviews shop drawing submittals, Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans, and material testing reports for compliance with the contract documents and permits.
- Performs on-site review on a wide range of municipal building and other capital improvement construction projects to assure that construction details conform to plans and specifications.
- Assists in the coordination of relocation of utilities in conflict with construction projects.
- Notifies design engineer of discovered design-related issues and/or contractor design change requests.
- Makes field determination and notification to the contractor of non?complying work or materials.
- Maintains records for all necessary documentation requirements.
- Prepares written reports that document compliance or non?compliance of construction materials.
- Reviews records of construction quantities installed by contractors.
- Investigates and responds to citizen complaints and responds to questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
- Ensures adherence to all safety principles and guidelines.
- Performs record keeping including time sheets and work schedules.
- Participates in final inspections of projects with project engineer.
Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.