Lawrence Berkeley National Lab's (LBNL) Facilities Division has an opening for a Truck Driver to join the team.
In this role, you will perform on-site and off-site pickups and delivery of material, goods, and equipment. Customers include, but are not limited to, all Laboratory divisions, DOE facilities, UC Berkeley Campus, and could include other remote locations. Specialized equipment utilized includes heavy-duty semi-tractor trailer rigs or a combination of vehicles involving three or more axles and high-capacity forklifts (8.5 Tons Maximum weight capacity). Vehicles utilized for deliveries include medium size package vans and liftgate trucks, and semi-tractor trailers.
The incumbent is required to practice a strong commitment to safety and possess a DOT Hazmat certification. A Minimum of a Class "B" license is required with HAZMAT, tanker, and airbrake endorsements. You may be responsible for inter and intrastate long-haul trips as assigned. This role will comply with LBNL Facilities policies and procedures and safety guidelines. You will also be required to comply with DOE policies to maintain a current commercial driver's license to include a physical exam from a DOE approved medical provider.
What You Will Do:
Point to Point Transport 60%
- Sort, stage, and distribute all packages received/processed by Central Receiving. Packages include refrigerated items, sensitive property (computers), office supplies, packages, cartons, mail, electronic components, and instruments.
- Perform specialized medium and heavy duty hauling of large items, including lumber, steel, sequences, magnets, transformers, machinery, scientific equipment, and high value material. Vehicles utilized include high-capacity forklifts (8.5 Tons Maximum weight capacity), lift-gates, semi-tractor trailers, flatbed trucks, and other specialized material handling equipment.
- Exhibit awareness and demonstrate a high level of expertise when staging, loading and unloading, strapping, and securing material.
- Perform pickups and delivery at designated locations.
- Evaluate road conditions and make necessary adjustments to ensure that personnel, cargo, and equipment are safe when operating the vehicle.
- Demonstrate safe driving and material handling practices and procedures.
- Must be knowledgeable of and comply with Federal DOT, State, and Lab policies and regulations governing driving vehicles.
Documentation and Control 20%
- Ensure that packages and/or material barcodes are scanned at pickup and delivery points, using the I-Box hand-held computer, to ensure that packages are correctly delivered to addressee.
- Ensure that the addressee on the I-Box hand- held computer signs for all items categorized as "sensitive or controlled property".
- Ensure that required document(s) i.e., Hazmat Shipping papers, DOE Property Tags, Shipping Documents, Warehouse Storage tags) accompany material while being transported to its appropriate delivery point.
- Ensure, all hazardous material for pick up and deliveries must be manifested and documented per DOT 49CFR regulations.
Vehicle Maintenance and Safety 10%
- Conduct daily vehicle inspections and report defects, damage, and maintenance needs immediately and complete LBNL online Accident Report, in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a clean vehicle.
- Ensure that all communication devices (phones, radios, and pagers) are maintained in good operating condition.
- Keep the dock area well organized and free of tripping hazards.
- Report any abnormal occurrences, road hazards, building changes, customer complaints, accidents, damage or loss of material to supervisor or lead as soon as possible.
- As assigned, the driver may substitute for lead driver based on the staffing and business needs of the Laboratory.
What is Required:
- Demonstrated experience operating medium size package vans, liftgate trucks, heavy duty semi-tractor trailer rigs or a combination of vehicles involving 3 or more axles, and high capacity forklifts (8.5 Tons Maximum weight capacity).
- Equivalent to one (1) year of paid or regularly assigned driving experience in a job involving operating of heavy-duty trucks.
- Must possess a valid Class B, Commercial Driver's license with hazmat, tanker and doubles endorsements and current medical card.
- Ability to comply with Department Of Transportation (DOT) Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requirements and LBNL's Workplace Substance Abuse Program.
- Demonstrated experience with cargo handling and documentation procedures.
- Expertise in all areas of equipment tie down and proper weight distribution.
- Demonstrated pre-trip preparation and vehicle inspection procedures.
- Demonstrated vehicle and trailer backing, coupling, and uncoupling skills.
- Knowledge of applicable State and Federal vehicle codes and transport laws governing the vehicle operated, load carried, and driver responsibilities.
- Demonstrated driving ability to operate vehicles in hilly terrain, narrow roadways, etc.
- Demonstrated experience working in a successful technical team, ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, and willingness to work in a flexible, changing work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively and to function well in a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to work independently on assignments, develop own work methods and procedures, use initiative and judgment, and make decisions within scope of work.
- Ability to frequently lift and carry objects weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Ability to perform job duties involving pushing, pulling,climbing, stooping,crouching, reaching, handling, fingering, talking, hearing, and seeing.
- Familiarity with all LBNL onsite and remote delivery locations, DOT safety standards, Property Management system (AMS/Sunflower), iBox Barcode System, and Rigging.
- This is a full-time career appointment, non-exempt (hourly paid) eligible for overtime pay.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be predetermined based on collective bargaining agreements step rates.
- The full hourly range for this position is $29.63 - $43.12/hourly for the job classification of 745.2. Salary for this position is based on a step schedule and the final candidate's qualifications, relevant experience (if applicable, and union contract agreement).
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- This position has been designated as a Testing Designated Position (TDP) as governed under the Department of Transportation (DOT) Office of Drug & Alcohol Policy & Compliance and is subject to Berkeley Lab's Workplace Substance Abuse Policy and testing requirements. The successful candidate must comply with the pre-employment requirements, including providing consent for former DOT employers to share candidates' past three years' test results.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA, and will include driving to remote LBNL locations.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links: Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.