The purpose of this position is to provide Transmission & Distribution substation facilities with engineering services required by Wabash Valley Power and the Member Systems. If you like what you read about us as a company and you are an engineer and looking for your next adventure, take a look at the essential duties of our substation engineer role below and consider applying today to be part of the WVPA team!
Performs various engineering calculations and studies following good engineering and utility practices.
Prepares engineering deliverables including: design prints, study reports, equipment specifications, cost estimates, and contract documents.
Reviews calculations, studies, and design packages performed by both internal and external engineering staff
Supports substation project teams through procurement and construction management activities
Provides engineering services as needed for Member Cooperatives on various distribution matters
Assists with the development and continued improvement of departmental standards and specifications
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution.
3-5+ years’ experience in substation design and engineering.
Headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, Wabash Valley Power is a not-for-profit electric cooperative and wholesale provider of reliable, affordable electricity to our 23 electric distribution member cooperatives. These cooperatives in turn serve more than 300,000 homes, businesses, and farms in Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri.
As a not-for-profit co-op, we do things a bit differently—and that’s the point. Because we aren’t influenced by shareholders, we make our decisions with our members in mind. That means we value things like teamwork, and putting families first. It also means a business model that’s designed for stability and growth. It’s a Deliberately Different approach to the energy industry, and that’s great news for the people who count on us.
We believe what benefits our employees benefits our company. That’s why we put employees first—your health, your family, and your development. These aren’t just slogans: We offer continuing education, flex time, health benefits, a 401(k) match and pension plan, and much more. Here are just a few of the things that make our company culture unique:
• No Sweat - We offer a wellness program that includes a payroll cr...edit for medical insurance, an on-site fitness center for your convenience and extra vacation days for participating. We’ll even throw in a fitness device reimbursement to keep you on track!
• Flex Time - Our flexible schedule means you can work in your appointments or family events and maintain a comfortable work-life balance.
• Stay in School - We value employees who have a desire to learn, so we provide funds for continuing education. We also offer in-house training and ongoing development through our internal GROW program.
• Keep it Casual - When you work for us, you work in comfort. Blue jeans are the norm in our office and we make them look good!
• Work Hard, Play Hard - We reward our employees with generous vacation time, to the tune of up to five weeks off a year. Even our new employees receive credit for prior work experience.